Welcome! Tune in often to learn more about all things relating to the new SAHM!

Sunday, October 9, 2011

I'm Here!

I just can't tell you how much I have enjoyed being at home with my children these last few months. It is almost as if being laid off was the best thing that's happened to me. Yea, we have to budget now, but these moments with my son and daughter are priceless.

Today, I was coaching my daughter's basketball team, mind you I really do not know what I'm doing. However, watching my daughter come alive during the game - stealing the ball, shooting lay ups, blocking shots, and playing awesome defense (while I'm her coach ;-)). Priceless. Then to even see her face as she came off the court, and I gave her a high five as well as her team mates. Priceless! I even think the other girls are enjoying me being their coach, as I hear them say Mrs. Angela did you see that we're winning. Yup, we won our first game today. I know I am making an impact in those girls lives as well, as I try my best to be encouraging even when they're not playing their best. I know if I was working full - time I would have never been able to commit to such a task.

Then there is the time with my son. He will be 4 and 1/2 months this week and for all you moms out there with babies/infants you know how fast they grow. It seems like yesterday we were feeding him every two hours and had just brought him home from the hospital. Now, he is alert has his own personality, and he's trying his hardest to sit up on his own and crawl - well really scoot. For some strange reason, I think my son thinks he's 10 months old because he refuses to believe he can't get around on his own or hold his own back up to sit up. It is just too cute, but the cutest of all is that I get to catch all these moments. Once again priceless. I get to see and make him laugh and smile everyday. I'm the face he sees in the morning, afternoon, and at night, just priceless

As I continue to search for work, work life balance is very important to me, and I'm hoping God will bless me with a job where I have the flexibility to continue to be present with my children since I know I must return to work. However, I want to always be able to say, I'M HERE whenever and wherever my children need me. I think my new dream (which I'm a long way from) will be to stay home with my children (unless I find a job where I can work from home - but I think in some way I'll always work. I just want work that won't interfere with raising my family as a long term goal). I just really want to be there for them as this experience has opened new doors for me.

I've even started thinking about what we are really working for???Now, I know I must return to work to continue our lifestyle, where being in a home with both parents working affords you more. But what are we REALLY working for. I mean for some yes, you both work to keep the lights on and a roof over your family's head, but for others that this situation may not apply to what are you working for? Yes, we've become accustomed to a lifestyle, but can't we adjust if we really want to. It always bothers me to hear people say, I wish I could be a stay at home mom - when I'm thinking if you downsize from that Lincoln you probably could be. Does the American dream really mean less time with your family so you can have a bigger house, nicer car, and stylish clothes. I mean aren't those things just material, but a family - that's your permanent stamp in this world that you can't go back and have a do-over for. As a result, isn't that more important? What do you think? Feel free to share your comments below.





No comments: